Open Enrollment is for students who live outside of Lakeville Area Schools boundaries, but wish to attend school in the district. Minnesota Statute 124D.03 allows all Minnesota’s public school students the opportunity to apply to attend school outside of the school district where they live.
AS OF 5/1/20 OPEN ENROLLMENT TO LAKEVILLE AREA SCHOOLS IS CLOSED FOR THE 2020-21 SCHOOL YEAR to any additional requests for Elementary School (grades K–5) and Middle School (grades 6-8) placements. There are limited High School (grades 9-12) spots available, and school building preference is not guaranteed. The School Board based this decision carefully adhering to the mandates below.
Please note: Per Minnesota Statute, a School Board may limit, by resolution, nonresident enrollment in its schools or programs if open enrollment exceeds one percent of the total enrollment at each grade level in the district. Currently, across Lakeville Area Schools, the current percentage of open enrolled students exceeds the 1 percent rule by grade level, ranging anywhere from 4 percent to 9.5 percent.
Open Enrollment was closed for the 2020-21 school year based on the following percentages:
- Kindergarten was capped at 4% of the grade level
- Grades 1-8 was capped at 5% of the grade level
- Grades 9-12 was capped at 8% of the grade level
The district was required by the State to give priority to enrolling siblings of currently enrolled students, students whose applications were related to an approved integration and achievement plan, and children of the school district’s staff. Children who were open-enrolled into the district’s early-childhood special education programs were also given priority.
How to Submit Your Application
Mail/drop off to: Lakeville Area Schools 17630 Juniper Path, Suite A Lakeville, MN 55044
- Open Enrollment Application for K-12 Gen Ed and Early Childhood Special Education
- (Español) - Solicitud de inscripción abierta para educación especial de educación preescolar y educación especial para la primera infancia
- (Soomaali) - Codsiga Isqorista Furan ee K-12 Gen Ed iyo Waxbarashada Gaarka ah ee Carruurnimada Hore
- (Hmoob) - Qhib Rau Npe Kawm rau K-12 Gen Ed thiab Early Childhood Tshwj Xeeb Kawm Ntawv
While waiting for a decision regarding your Open Enrollment application, you are welcome to attend Information Sessions scheduled at your first-choice school, with the understanding that your student may or may not be offered a spot in the district or approved for that school. If you submit paperwork at a school other than where your student might end up being placed, the paperwork can be easily transferred to the school building of placement.
Please contact your first-choice school for upcoming information sessions. Our Schools
An Open Enrollment Application would also be required if the students primary residence address were to change to a different resident district than the one they lived in when they were originally accepted into the district.
- Hmong Statewide Enrollment Options Instructions
- Hmong Application for K-12 Gen Ed and Early Childhood Special Education
- Somali Statewide Enrollment Options Instructions
- Somali Application for K-12 Gen Ed and Early Childhood Special Education
- Spanish Statewide Enrollment Options Instructions
- Spanish Application for K-12 Gen Ed and Early Childhood Special Education