Open Enrollment is for students who live outside of Lakeville Area Schools boundaries, but wish to attend school in the district. Minnesota Statute 124D.03 allows all Minnesota’s public school students the opportunity to apply to attend school outside of the school district where they live.
Please note: On February 11, the Lakeville Area Schools Board of Education approved a resolution to limit Open Enrollment within established parameters to help address the growing district-wide school building capacity issues.Per Minnesota Statute, a School Board may limit, by resolution, nonresident enrollment in its schools or programs if open enrollment exceeds one percent of the total enrollment at each grade level in the district. Currently, across Lakeville Area Schools, the current percentage of open enrolled students exceeds the 1 percent rule by grade level, ranging anywhere from 4 percent to 9.5 percent.
Open Enrollment will be limited as follows for the 2020-21 school year:
- Kindergarten will be capped at 4% of the grade level
- Grades 1-8 will be capped at 5% of the grade level
- Grades 9-12 will be capped at 8% of the grade level
The district will continue to give priority to enrolling siblings of currently enrolled students, students whose applications are related to an approved integration and achievement plan, and children of the school district’s staff. Children who are open-enrolled into the district’s early-childhood special education programs will also be given priority.
Middle School and High School families who applied for open enrollment for the 20-21 school year will be contacted through email with school building placement by Monday, March 9.
Application ProcessOpen Enrollment Applications for the 2020-21 school year may now be submitted. Space will be limited and grade level limits will be posted soon based upon State Statute and space availability as determined by the Board of Education.
- Apply now through February 3, 2020. Please have your full application submitted.
- A lottery will take place between February 3 and February 15. This is not a first-come, first-served process, but will be an impartial lottery for all applicants. Per State Statute, the district must give priority to enrolling siblings of currently enrolled students, students whose applications are related to an approved integration and achievement plan, and children of the school district's staff. Applications received by February 3 will be included in the lottery, but will not be guaranteed enrollment in the District. Only applications selected in the lottery will be offered enrollment in the District.
- Lottery acceptance/denial will be communicated through email from the District’s Student Services Department on February 15.
- Parent/guardian must notify the Student Services Department by March 1 of their intent to enroll or will risk losing placement
- School building placement assignment will be communicated by May 15.
How to Submit Your ApplicationEmail Mary.Moody@isd194.org Fax 952-469-6054 Mail/drop off to Lakeville Area Schools, 17630 Juniper Path, Suite A, Lakeville, MN 55044
While waiting for a decision regarding your Open Enrollment application, you are welcome to attend Information Sessions scheduled at your first-choice school, with the understanding that your student may or may not be offered a spot in the district or approved for that school. If you submit paperwork at a school other than where your student might end up being placed, the paperwork can be easily transferred to the school building of placement.
Please contact your first-choice school for upcoming information sessions. Our Schools
- Hmong Statewide Enrollment Options Instructions
- Hmong Application for K-12 Gen Ed and Early Childhood Special Education
- Somali Statewide Enrollment Options Instructions
- Somali Application for K-12 Gen Ed and Early Childhood Special Education
- Spanish Statewide Enrollment Options Instructions
- Spanish Application for K-12 Gen Ed and Early Childhood Special Education