If you are representing a college or career option, please GO HERE to schedule a VIRTUAL visit to meet with any our Lakeville South students that would be interested.
If you are a student wondering when our post secondary visitors are coming, please reference the College Visitor Schedule you can even copy date(s) onto your own calendar from there! Then sign-up in the Career Center so we know to expect you or email firstname.lastname@example.org and let her know!
STUDENTS HAVE ACCESS to the FOLLOWING through our CAREER CENTER:
For other practice resources, you can also visit the Media Center’s Schoology page and find information to access LEARNING LIBRARY.
- MCIS offers on-line practice tests within in a timed format which also provides results and customized feedback. Make use of the academic test prep provided with the on-line course also free of charge and available at your convenience or use the vocabulary word section to test your brain each day! Find the section under MY PORTFOLIO in MCIS. Log in by following the instructions found under that section of this page. Click here for more detailed listing of various resources!
- Check out our Media Center’s Schoology page to find another great resource for test prep from LEARNING EXPRESS – CLICK HERE for VIDEO INSTRUCTION on how to find the information under the RESOURCES tab and get into the system from our very own Media Specialist, Mrs. C-Smith.
- There are also paper copies of practice tests, listings of registration dates and registration information for both the ACT & SAT are available in the Career Center
Job Opportunities – Please visit our webpage dedicated to assisting students with finding employment in the surrounding area, whether while in school or as if they choose a direct path for a post secondary career. http://isd194.org/lakeville-south/career-center/student-employment-opportunities/
Letters of Recommendation – Forms are available in Student Services as you enter from the Commons. If you are applying to colleges using the Common Application and they ask for your ‘counselor’ name, this would be your ‘Dean’ at Lakeville South. Any questions, See Angie Beschorner in Student Services.
MCIS – Minnesota Career Information System is a comprehensive, internet-based platform that combines a wealth of career and education information into one, easy-to-use exploration tool. MCIS is an excellent tool to use for post-secondary planning and each Lakeville student has their own account because Lakeville School District has a license for the Minnesota Career Information System (MCIS) to give our students additional tools for test prep, explore possible career paths using interest inventories, post secondary options – school sort, majors or scholarships, planning and so much more! This is free to use even after high school as long as we hold the license and/or your account has been active within the past four years.
– Go to: http://clever.com/in/
– Click Log in with Google and use your school google/schoology login
– Click on the MCIS App with the lighthouse
– Click Sign Up on the left side of the screen
– Click Continue and you will be at your personal MCIS portfolio
Why use MCIS?
Minnesota legislation requires every student to have a post-secondary plan. MCIS will help you to create that plan. Each student will create a Personal Learning Plan (PLP) currently in 9th grade during Opportunities Day and within your PLP, you will: determine your skills and interests, explore careers, search for colleges and training options, create an education and career plan, and keep a record of your school and extra-curricular activities, and work experience.
Research shows that students who have an education and career plan: are more likely to graduate from high school and attend college or other post-secondary training, are more motivated to succeed in college and other types of training and in the workplace, score higher on standardized achievement tests, and have better attendance and fewer discipline problems.
Another useful tool for juniors and especially seniors is COLLEGE SORT or FINANCIAL AID SORT. These options let students customize their searches for such things and get better suited streamlined results for themselves!
- Students must meet the PSEO residency and eligibility requirements and abide by participation limits specified in the Minnesota Statutes, section 124D.09.
- PSEO credits will be awarded as 1/4 of the college credit amount. For example 4 college credits = 2 high school semester credits or 1 full year.
- Students may earn high school credits under PSEO and do not need to have completed all high school requirements before participating in PSEO
- Students must meet the PSEO residency and eligibility requirements and abide by participation limits specified in Minnesota Statutes, section 124D.09.
- Grade point and class rank requirements for participation in PSEO vary among institutions of higher education.
- Tuition and books or fees for items that are required to participate are provided at no cost to the student under PSEO.
- PSEO grades are not weighted.
- Funds are available to help pay transportation expenses for qualifying students to participate in PSEO courses on college campuses.
Students should meet with their Dean to discuss this possibility and to obtain more information. For current information about the PSEO program, visit the MN Dept of Education’s Postsecondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) web page. Angie Beschorner in Student Services is the LSHS coordinator for the program.
Hosted College Events:
- NAVIGATING the COLLEGE SEARCH \ˈna-və-ˌgāt\ To find the way to get to a place when you are traveling… College can be for everyone, you just have to be informed as you navigate the process. Please make plans to attend this informative seminar offered collaboratively for both Lakeville South and Lakeville North students and families. This year’s event was held on MONDAY, September 30th at Lakeville North. You can find the agenda information HERE for a review of what was presented and be sure to use stop in the Career Center for more options, details or a valuable resource for assistance!
- COLLEGE FINANCIAL PLANNING NIGHT sponsored by the Lakeville Chamber of Commerce. Parents and students of any age really should plan to stop even if you have another child/sibling who is in college or have attended college. Things have changed, including availability of filing FAFSA beginning in October now! The event for this year was held Monday, October 28th at Lakeville North. Click HERE for this year’s agenda ‘ /]. ALSO… BE SURE and have your student check out MCIS and get customized scholarship search by doing the Financial Aid Sort in there. Find it under the Education tab and you can view quick tutorial of it HERE. New this year: Students can choose the “Log in with Clever” and utilize their same technology sign-in for LSHS devices. See Julie in the Career Center for any other assistance.