ACT & SAT Information
Most four-year colleges in Minnesota require that students be in the upper half of their graduating class and perform satisfactorily on an entrance test such as the American College Test (ACT) or Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT). Two-year schools accept the ACT & SAT, but also have other test options depending on their requirements. You can check with the respective admissions office.
Statewide ACT for Juniors (Class of 2019) will be held during the school day here at Lakeville South on Wednesday, February 20th. All LSHS Juniors are automatically registered to take the exam, unless we received parent permission that they will opt-out. ACT National Dates can be found on-line or flyers are available in the Career Center for other opportunities to take the exam.
The ACT has national test dates and a flyer is available in the Career Center. An optional 30-minute Writing Test was added to the ACT Assessment. Students may register for the Writing Test when they register to take the ACT. It is not possible to register for a separate ACT Writing Test; it must be taken in addition to and at the same time as the ACT Assessment. More information about the ACT Assessment and the Writing Test is available at Actstudent.org.
The SAT contains three sections: critical reading, math, and writing. The mandatory writing section includes a multiple-choice component and a 25-minute essay component. The addition of the writing section increases the total possible score from 1600 to 2400. For more information about the new SAT, visit College Board. The Career Center has information on the testing also along with the Subject Test options.
Lakeville South High School’s testing code is 241-326
COLLEGE ENTRANCE EXAM & ACT PREP- Detailed RESOURCES document here! In cooperation with Advantage Educational Programs, Lakeville South and Lakeville North offer ACT prep classes at both high schools and at schools in nearby communities as well. They are usually offered in the Fall & Winter, and Spring & Summer. Here is the latest schedule. There is a class make up policy and the course can be repeated free of charge in future sessions.
Paper copies of practice tests, listings of registration dates and registration information for both the ACT & SAT are available in the Career Center. There are also on-line practice tests within MCIS in a timed format which also provides results and customized feedback. Make use of the academic test prep provided with the on-line course also free of charge and available at your convenience!
The Minnesota Department of Education has released the results of the ACT-tested graduates of the class of 2018. Minnesota students tested at the top in the nation on the ACT college entrance exam again this year. Among the 905 students who took the ACT at Lakeville Area Schools, the average composite score exceeded the state average of 21.3, with a score of 22.8.
Lakeville Area graduating class of 2018 Average ACT scores:
- In the area of English, 73% of Lakeville Area students met or exceeded the ACT benchmark score, compared to the state average of 60%. The ACT benchmark score for English is 18.
- In the area of math, 60% of Lakeville Area students met or exceeded the ACT benchmark score, compared to the state average of 47%. The ACT benchmark for mathematics is 22.
- In the area of reading, 56% of Lakeville Area students met or exceeded the benchmark score, compared to the state average of 48%. The ACT benchmark for reading is 22.
- In the area of science, 49% of Lakeville Area students met or exceeded the benchmark score, compared with the state average of 42%. The ACT benchmark for science is 23.
The ACT results overall indicate the extent to which students are prepared for college-level work. The ACT consists of curriculum-based tests of educational development in English, mathematics, reading, and science designed to measure the skills needed for success in the first-year of college coursework.
- ACT College Entrance Exam
- College Board & Khan Academy free SAT Prep
- Practice College Entrance Exams
- ACT monthly Parent Newsletter
- Order Official Transcripts Online
- ACT Practice Tests – Dakota County Library
- SAT/ACT Student Preparation