We realize the COVID-19 situation may have affected many students who scheduled job shadow over Spring Break, especially in the healthcare industry.
If you have not yet been unable to meet the deadline for this graduation requirement, please email your Dean of Students regarding an extension or how to proceed, etc…
A component of the Career Portfolio, the job shadow is a required activity for graduation from the Lakeville Area Public Schools. Seniors are given the time out of school on Opportunities Day to complete this assignment. For the Class of 2020, it was Tuesday, January 21st. There is some flexibility with this date. For example, using days off school prior to that in October, November or December. Please see instructions for more detail. The assignment deadline for 2020 is Monday, March 30th, so plan accordingly!
A job shadow is a structured career activity where a student follows an employee at a company location to learn about a particular occupation or industry. The purpose of job shadowing is to help students explore a range of career options. For this to be a meaningful experience, students should shadow someone in your career path interest. It should not be your parents or someone where you currently work.
The employee who is hosting the student is called an adult mentor. The student will experience a one-on-one relationship with an adult mentor observing activities and gaining valuable information about a possible chosen career. Job shadowing helps students accomplish the following:
- Gain information about possible future career interests
- Observe the daily routine of their adult mentor
- Observe the system of the host’s company or business
- Gain an insight of the academic, technical, and personal skills required by particular occupation
- Gain an understanding of the connection between school and work
- Gain information to assist students in goal setting and educational planning
Senior Job Shadow Instructions and Assignment
- Senior Job Shadow Instruction Packet (to help search for one or prepare for it)
- Senior Job Shadow Assignment (to be completed after your Job Shadow day)