To provide staff and families time to prepare, the following is our tentative transition plan for elementary students to begin a full-time in-person learning model. This plan is subject to change pending COVID-19 conditions and the district’s ability to implement new safety requirements.
All students in grades K-12 will return from Winter Break in Distance Learning, as previously communicated. A rolling transition will begin the week of January 18, 2021. We plan to bring elementary students back to in-person following this tentative schedule:
Students in grades K-2 will begin in-person learning January 25
- The last day of Distance Learning for K-2 will be January 20.
- Jan. 21-22 will be non-school days for grades K-2 to allow staff time to prepare for the transition.
Students in grades 3-5 will begin in-person learning February 8
- The last day of Distance Learning for grades 3-5 will be Feb. 3
- Feb. 4-5 will be non-school days for grades 3-5 to allow staff time to prepare for the transition.
At the start of the school year, families were given the option of either attending school in whatever learning model we were able to safely implement (we started in Hybrid then moved to Distance), or they had the option to enroll in full-time Distance Learning through LinK12 Lakeville. Families were asked to make their selection for semester one. We are giving all elementary families an opportunity to change once again if they would like.
If you do not wish to make a change to your child’s learning model, you do not need to do anything. Elementary families who wish to change from their current learning model, whether that’s moving to LinK12 or leaving LinK12 to return to in-person, should let us know by completing an online change request form by Tuesday, January 5 at 4 p.m.
About Distance Learning through LinK12 Lakeville: LinK12 Lakeville is a state-certified online school. Students have similar curriculum, but do not utilize the same learning management system or have the same teachers as their neighborhood school. If you have questions about LinK12 Lakeville, please contact Principal Dana Kelly at Dana.Kelly@isd194.org.
Additional K-5 information
- MDE recently provided revised health and safety guidance for schools operating an in-person model:
- Three feet of physical distancing is recommended for students whenever possible
- All students must wear face coverings
- Schools will continue to follow this protocol for isolation and quarantine when there are positive cases identified in the building. Positive cases could result in classrooms or entire schools closing.
- You can see the full Minnesota Safe Learning plan online.
- In-person programming for students currently receiving specialized supports:
- Child care for Tier 1 workers will continue as scheduled through the transition.
- Special education programs will continue in-person as scheduled through the transition. Please contact your case manager with any questions.
- Learning Lab for K-5 students will end after Jan. 14.
Additional District-Wide Information
- Students in grades 6-12 remain in Distance Learning until further notice. We will continue to monitor state guidance and county case rates.
- Early childhood students remain in their current model.
- High school sports and cocurricular activities may begin in-person practices on Jan. 4. Middle school sports and cocurricular activities may begin in-person practices on Jan 19. We are awaiting further guidance about competitions from the MSHSL.
- Community Education enrichment classes and programs may begin in-person classes starting Jan. 4. Specific class/program details may vary and will be shared with participants from program leaders.
Please note that as usual, schools and the District Office will be closed to the public during Winter Break, Dec. 23 through Jan. 3.
We are excited and encouraged at the prospect of seeing students in person in the new year. We will continue to follow the latest data and guidance, and will continue to communicate with you as we work through the many details of our plan. Have a nice Winter Break!